In honor of January being slow cooker month, we’ve gathered a delicious recipe for you all to try this new year that will keep you warm and cozy. The beef can be served with roasted vegetables, roasted potatoes, and a slice of artisan bread. Pair this dish with a nice glass of Conde Di Condello Francesco, which can be found in our all red and mixed Weekday Warrior packs.
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb boneless chuck roast, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 12-oz can of an IPA beer
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp beef bouillon base
- 1 medium carrot, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 small Yukon Gold or red potatoes, cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and sear until browned on each side. Move to a plate and do the same with the second half of the meat. Add the beer and deglaze (scrape up all the browned bits with a wooden spoon). Cook for about 2 minutes, then take off the heat.
- In the slow cooker, add about ¼ cup of beef stock then add the bouillon and stir until dissolved. Add the seared beef and all the drippings from the plate, carrots, celery, onions, thyme, potatoes, deglazed beer from the skillet, the remaining beef stock, and onion soup mix. Lightly stir to ensure it’s all mixed.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook until the beef and veggies are tender for about 8-9 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Allen Ingram is the founder of myWinegenie Applications Ltd. and pairedclub.com and is a professional chef, as well as a Sommelier. His passion for the world’s best wine and food pairings has taken him all over the world for business and pleasure.