Cozy up by the fire over the holiday season and warm up with a hot cup of mulled wine. This traditional recipe is full of warmth, spice, and flavor – bound to make you feel giddy inside!
A dry, full-bodied red wine works best for mulled wine as it complements the other flavors and ensures the spiced wine won’t be overly sweet. We recommend the Penley Estate Cabernet Sauvignon found in our 2 pack Weekday Warrior Red and Mixed, and Borsao “Tres Picos” Garnacha in our 4 pack Adventurer Red.
Mulled Wine Recipe
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 (750mL) bottle of dried red wine
- ¼ cup of brandy
- 1 orange, sliced into thin rounds
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2-4 tbsp sugar (honey, maple syrup, or your choice of sweetener work as well)
- In a large saucepan, combine all your ingredients and stir until well mixed. Start by adding 2 tbsp of sweetener.
- Cook the wine on medium-high heat until it barely reaches a boil. Avoid letting it bubble so the alcohol doesn’t boil off. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Using a strainer, separate the orange slices, cloves, cinnamons sticks, and star anise. Add in extra sweetener at this point if desired.
- Serve hot with garnishes of choice and enjoy!
Tiegan Ford is the Marketing Coordinator at Paired, with an interest in design as well. As a novice wine drinker, she enjoys learning about wine, what foods to pair with different wines, and tasting notes to further expand her knowledge and enhance her wine tasting experience.