We have a lovely vegan tofu bolognese recipe to share with you this week. It’s perfect if you are craving a warm, cozy dish paired with a glass of the Free Form Cabernet Sauvignon from the Okanagan Crush Pad, featured in our Organic Wine article. This twist on a traditional Bolognese is thick in texture full of flavor and easy to make.
You can easily modify this recipe to make it gluten-free as well!
Tofu Bolognese Recipe
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu (350g) crumbled
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 30mL (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 can (156mL) tomato paste
- 1 can (680mL) large can tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 15mL (1 Tbsp) dried basil
- 15mL (1 Tbsp) dried oregano
1. In a food processor, puree onion, carrots, celery, and garlic into a coarse paste.
2. In a large pan over medium-high heat, coat pan with oil. Add the pureed vegetables and cook until all the juices have evaporated and vegetables have softened, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add the tofu and cook for another 10 minutes. Then, add the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes. To finish the sauce, add tomato puree and dried herbs and cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
4. Serve hot over cooked pasta, and enjoy!
Tiegan Ford is the Marketing Coordinator at Paired, with an interest in design as well. As a novice wine drinker, she enjoys learning about wine, what foods to pair with different wines, and tasting notes to further expand her knowledge and enhance her wine tasting experience.